Friday, January 27, 2006

Phalaenopsis year one.

It’s been a year since I adopted this humble plant. I wanted to say I got it from the deepest darkest untouchable part of Amazon but that would be lying. I got it from IKEA but still, the character of it matches no other plants in my care.

Other plants have vibrant blooms, competitive, needy and demanding. Possessive with sunlight, fussed about the amount of water they need. I don’t mind all that, I just don’t want them to die, like all the martyrs. They thought they’ll be strong for me, but they succumbed to my decaying mental ability to care for others, and my fluctuating memory.

This one is different. It’s always been there, winter spring summer or autumn. Me, hardly noticed the plant by the kitchen window sill.

While others busy blooming all year, it’s kept itself camouflaged, close to ground, almost shy to steal any amount of sunlight I allow to bath the kitchen. But it does know what it needs, without being demanding. It does get what it wants, without asking. It almost knows I have no time. The spine to the bloom bends, like a virgin Geisha humbled by an unexpected gift. Just how all plants should be like? Beautiful and down to earth, even if generically, you’re an orchid.

It’s seen me entertaining a dinner crowd, it’s seen me laughed through desserts, seen me cry over cups of tea and coffee, even seen me seen to. In that kitchen.

Winter comes and all the other plants, couldn’t careless if I get hit by a wave of sluggishness, gloominess and general anhedonia. Hibernate they do, dead to the world. But this one, just bloomed and blossomed. 3 stalks and not one without any of those white petals. To what do I deserve this cheering up?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


MusicPlaylist
Music Playlist at MixPod.com

Links
nursing uniforms
Raglan Top in Amber Glow
Raglan-$14.95
Buy Scrubs at Scrubsgallery.com
and save.