Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Touchy feely

Absence makes hearts grow fonder? I suppose that’s what it was. I don’t expect you to know but I have been away from this hospital for 3 months and now back here again. If I start explaining the reasons you’d probably think I want to overthrow Tony Blair and the Queen.

So, back to being back here. I notice a few people being slightly uninhibited when they talk to me. People who were not as touchy touchy with me before.

I saw Dr.B emerging out from the theatre door and walking fast towards me, which made the time to put away Cosmo magazine very tight so I did what’s best. Pretend that it’s completely ok to flip through the magazine at the theatre reception. He got close and put his arms around me and as if he had a sore throat, grovelled something like … “That is not anaesthetics, …blabla woman blabla domestic blabla” so close, that the hairs at the back of my neck stood on ends. I couldn’t concentrate because he was that close to my ears. I am sure something else like “Oh my darling my sweet sweet darling” would have made me go into tonic clonic fit. So the grovelling was far better.

Stuck my head through the Mr. M’s theatre to see if the list had finished and he came from the side and patted my head. “Ahhhh you’re back. We missed you!” I had Rowntree gums in my mouth otherwise I would have said something complementary, but what though. It was strange having so many eyes looking up and down at you. Well they didn’t have to do much up and down because as soon they look up they’d have to look down again. Yes I know I have real complex with being vertically challenged.


Dr. D was supervising me doing an 8 year old tonsillectomy yesterday and asked what the dose of a drug was. I said 20 mg/kg, which I just read the night before, for fun. And he squeezed my arms, “Good girl. Most people underprescribe and write 15mg/kg. But that’s good”, followed by another squeeze.

I really don’t mind. But, I tell you what always always happens. Which made me prefer the ground to open and swallow me instead.

The muscles in my neck will tense up, my ears turn red, the colour will ripple horizontally to my cheeks, which in turn setting into bright red colour and I’d feel hot and would start blowing air up my face by jutting my lower lip forward. My knees fold inwards like I ‘d hold my wee and my left shoulder would turn in. Just my right shoulder. All you need for completion is if my arms would fix flexed and start to jerk like a spastic dog. Oh for completion, let’s have my eyes rolling 20 times front and back and side to side too while we’re at it.

Right, I think my trauma case’d arrived in theatre. Better put this one to sleep before I myself induced to sleep by the interesting wall colours , artistic display of paper cups and plates and thick anaesthetic books in this seminar room.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


MusicPlaylist
Music Playlist at MixPod.com

Links
nursing uniforms
Raglan Top in Amber Glow
Raglan-$14.95
Buy Scrubs at Scrubsgallery.com
and save.