Thursday, August 04, 2005

Possible One of Many to Come

The minging little black box.



It was nearly quarter to 6 and I must have walked about a mile from the Renault service centre. Faithfully left my Megane there for servicing. After a whole day at work, this is quite a dear way of spending what remained of a day’s energy quota.

When I got to the bus station, I realized I was outnumbered by a group of odd looking people.

That Mongoloid looking boy scrutinized me with his gawky microscope, up and down. He stopped and stared at my midriff. I realized I still had my bleep around my waist. I put that away to avoid possibility of being suspected as a suicide bomber. Maybe less likely with one black box round my waist but still.

The woman with a blonde rinse and brown roots showing had her hair so tight in a bun, her eyes looked like they were going to be expulsed out like a button birthing through a button-hole. Her tattoo just around the deltoid bore the names Jimmy and Oliver around a neat scarlet heart. She chewed the gum with her mouth open and glanced at me before looking away into the distance.

The woman with dirty green coloured pleated skirt and burgundy cardigan with some thread riding and curling out of place, looked at me surreptitiously, possibly contemplating a smile but shied away when I looked back.

The skinny man with gross kyphosis wearing his trousers above his disproportionately protruded belly causing the hem to hang round his calves sidled along the railing. The rest just gave me a look like I have landed from another planet with 2 heads and one eye at the back of my head.

Tet..tet..tet..tet..tet..I come in peace….I go home now, I go home. Stop flipping staring at me you makhluk makhluk ganjil yang pucat!.

Odd they may seem, there is a place they were all hoping to get to, called HOME. Just like me.

---

The whole day was just odd. I was looking at the map of the hospital looking for cardiac care unit when I nearly thwacked somebody off the lunch she was balancing in her hands. Didn’t see, didn’t realize she was rushing past me. I just muttered sorry as I steadied myself. She must have had more momentum than me.

Ehhhhhh!!!!!! She put out her cluttered hands to aid me balanced.

Ehhhhh stranger! I remember saying back while struggling to match name to face.

What are you doing here woman??? She shrieked.

I remember repeating her question to her and at that point her name lit up and I can see the word ‘SUBJECT MATCH DATABASE NAMING SYSTEM’ popping and flickering in fluorescent green like that on the box when the patient enters the anaesthetic room and the box went ‘ROOM IN USE’. But that is usually red, but you know what I mean.

We hugged and pecked cheeks. She scribbled her name and bleep number on my palm and disappeared.

‘Bleep me when you are free’ she said sweetly, before grinding those pelvis down those pins, swaying her strides, exaggerating her gait with her head up high, knowing well I would watch her walk away, yet again.

It must have been what, 5 years?

One very very odd day.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


MusicPlaylist
Music Playlist at MixPod.com

Links
nursing uniforms
Raglan Top in Amber Glow
Raglan-$14.95
Buy Scrubs at Scrubsgallery.com
and save.