Monday, August 08, 2005

Fish and Chips.

In the dining room at Friday lunch time, I was fighting the baked potato with cottage cheese which was surprisingly fit for consumption. The salad looked a bit dire but then it would be, what with all the travelling and the jet lag they have to go through. Assuming those tomatoes are from south of France because that’s where I’d like them to be from.

Ravi my second commander was haggling the price of the fish and chips. He was trying to get the staff price you see when he looked very much like a visitor, without the bluescrubs and the nametag.

I found an empty table and sat myself down. From afar, could see Ravi’s hands all over the air like a furious Italian Chef.

‘Are you alone?’ the voice said, the chair was already pulled out.

I looked up and his face shuffled a set of cards in my mind, met him before.

the swanky Motorola phone
Lacoste scent
Pink tie
Rimless glasses

and I just blurted ‘Sure’.

‘Sure’? What does that mean? He didn’t even ask if he can join you. I mean did he ask if he can join you? ‘Sure’ is NOT an answer to ‘Are you alone’. Whatssematter with you? Sure means I want him to join me, even before he asked if he can join. What if he just wanted to steal the chair instead of joining me, so why did you say ‘Sure’? You want him to join you?

He sat down knowing it will take a while for my flustering to abate, smiling like a goat.

I then said something I thought was cool enough but slightly strained like I’ve swallowed a 50p coin.

No, not alone I mean , but , Yes, do please join by all means, Ravi‘s over there fishing, so it’ll take a while. And he's already sat down when I stopped to breath and swallow.

Felt the cottage cheese clogging my postnasal space and felt going to snort and sneeze both at the same time, but couldn’t figure out which one to do first. He laughed and I felt insanely better. He had a purple tie today against neat crisp lilac shirt.

Teeth, good, jawline, good, that obtuse nape of the neck, smooth, nice and neat, shoulders, nice, forearms- electric.

Awkward awkward and he kept looking at my mouth. I so wished those rockets didn’t wedge itself in between my incisors and hence attracting attention to themselves unnecessarily.

So the usual how’s your day then the usual Scunnie’s a dump, yes yes we both agreed, then the usual which medical school you went to.

Southampton said me, Sheffield said he. Oh so far said he, oh same like most people said me. Where were you before asked he, Grimsby said me. Oh you must know her, then said he excitedly. Of course said me, we always hang out together said me. Then layers upon layers peeled off, we’ve concluded a list of people mutually known to us both, and then it didn’t feel so strange anymore.

When I excused myself to hunt my next patient, and get back to the operating theatre, felt my cheeks burning. Whatsthematter with you. *Slap*

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


MusicPlaylist
Music Playlist at MixPod.com

Links
nursing uniforms
Raglan Top in Amber Glow
Raglan-$14.95
Buy Scrubs at Scrubsgallery.com
and save.