Sunday, January 09, 2005

The Turtle That Got Away

I was walking by the beach. I was indifferent. Knew not what I was looking for, albeit a visit never failed to calm my nerves.

I saw a hat. I approached. I stopped and reassessed. It's no hat at all. It's a shell. I flipped it over and it was actually heavy. The shell was not vacant. I left it well alone and backed off further up the sand and waited.

Not before long, a head came out. Ugly, riddled with wrinkles and most adorable. One of the hind leg had a splinter. I wrapped it warm, close to my chest. Took it home.

The wound was nursed, healed and I was pleased.

It wasn't easy. It was demanding.

It didn't like to be alone, always wanted to play. Always nestling, always smelling my skin. I fed it carrot it wanted brocolli, I gave the brocolli it wanted it steamed, I steamed it and it wanted the one in my tom yam. O penyu you are something else, but I would never abandon you.

Last night, it hid away, I called and I beckoned to me, to eat and play, it kept the distance. I was scared that it might be mistaken for a pile of rubbish and got thrown away by the cleaners. I called with hope, again and again.


It came out, it wanted the beach. So I took the angel to the beach. Saw it played and teased, and fake drowning. I smiled and was happy.

It went very far into the sea and I shouted and scolded. I threatened and I lashed out. I didn't care, I just wanted my angel to stay close to me.

I must have scared it away it wriggled and scuttled to the sea. I thought that it was a joke so I waited. The sun was setting and my angel never returned. I called out one more time, and all I could hear was my own desperate yoddle.

I knew then, that I had to let it go.

I am sorry...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


MusicPlaylist
Music Playlist at MixPod.com

Links
nursing uniforms
Raglan Top in Amber Glow
Raglan-$14.95
Buy Scrubs at Scrubsgallery.com
and save.