Friday, November 26, 2004

Bloody Bluescrubs

I am beginning to like this dingy place. It's very quiet apart from the humming of the CPU. I feel quite safe here. It's not windows XP this, but I don't mind as long as I know I am connected to the amazing world of WWW.

I have worked bloody hard tonight. Came on duty to find my self in a dilemma. There's a screaming pregnant woman who was already 9 cm dilated on the labour ward, pushing a football against a buttonhole, needing an epidural ( now only you tell me), and there's a chap in Accident and Emergency department bleeding from his noggin. So which one? Decisions.

Apparently this guy suffers from epilepsy and managed to make his way to the pub tonight and used his benefit money to get himself in a right state. Had a fit and threw himself through the glassdoor at home, or maybe it's glassdoor first and then a fit. Either way he was bleeding from neck upwards. One laceration was about 6 inches long right across the front of his face. Pretty deep as well.


So the screaming lady? I left her to Moeser to come in and stick an epidural in. She might faint from too much screaming and panting which in a way should be good for her. A mini break. Honestly though local ladies are quite good at not screaming so much but have you been around Indian or Greek ladies in labour? Bloody loud it gets on my nerves sometimes. Is it wrong that sometimes I feel like slapping them across their faces? Shall not entertain such thoughts.

I left the pizza out and not had them yet. Hopefully it's still there. so .. so hungry.
Shall have it at 2 am.

So I got him tubed down and ventilated on the machine. CT scan didn't show much apart from his previous craniotomy. So he's just withdrawing fom alcohol then, when he tried sitting up and swung his hand across missing the staff nurse's head by a millimetre. That's a good going withdrawal.

Bugger!, I've got blood on my bluescrubs. Where did that come from? Had better go and change after writing this.

He got on the unit for overnight ventilation and I had four blimming goes at putting the arterial line. Sometimes human bodies are like that, one minute very accomodating and easy , the next resistant to all efforts and bloody difficult. Anyway practice makes perfect and what better being a pincushion then a sleeping drunken one.

I hate arterial lines, they've got minds of their own.Hate it hate it hate it.





Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


MusicPlaylist
Music Playlist at MixPod.com

Links
nursing uniforms
Raglan Top in Amber Glow
Raglan-$14.95
Buy Scrubs at Scrubsgallery.com
and save.