Friday, October 29, 2004

Adek Manis

The whole shenanigans on B2 ward really did it. I was livid by the time I got back to theatre. Didn't feel like doing any work at all. I got all of the drugs drawn out and they were all nicely labelled. Putting a person to sleep is almost like cooking. You get all the ingredients ready and when the pot arrives..ayyacarammbbaaa .. a bit of this, a bit of that..sit and wait.

I looked at the list and it said 'starting time: 08:30'. I looked at the watch and it's blimming 09:30!! What took them so long to bring one blimming patient. Blimming porters.

I was pottering about, mastering the art of waiting, when I saw Shawn at the reception. Shawn Dharmarajah is a Malaysian who went to St.John's School in Seremban and left to do Medicine in UK many many years ago. He must be about 36 this year and already is a consultant. Then again darker skin coloured people always age better. So they say. Then ok maybe 38. Even his thinning hair hasn't done a good enough job at sabotaging his awet muda.

I knew him as a Registrar in Hull Royal Infirmary, so we were on a first name basis really. He greets me daily with 'Selamat pagi Adek maniisss' and if he's very very jolly on a particular day he'll even shout 'Nasi lemak satuuuu' across the corridor. I'm sure the scrub nurses and the ODAs must have thought we were having an affair. Euughhh. It could only be that to them. Too much give aways.
It's really difficult to look at him as a Consultant now. He does quite alot to make himself believe that he is a consultant now. He dons the suit daily but you can tell he's not worn them for ages. He looks like a prep school boy at times. Sorry Shawn.
Now why am I suddenly rambling about Shawn?
He walked past the corridor while I was leaning against the wall with my head heavily magnetised to the floor. A posture of a somebody who might just say yes to do waitressing instead of this job.

'Adek maniissss, apa muka macam bonttooottt???'

I looked up and I showed my teeth. Was not sure if that was even a smile. I supported that with two thumbs up. He looked jolly and happy with my response. Just anything to avoid having to talk about an incident which is very much upsetting but not really worth talking about. He disappeared into the male changing room.

Now my thinking is, if the two Malaysian docs I've met here so far have not put me off to start planning going home to practise then I have to ask myself, when am I going home and is it worthwhile? If 2 can put a smile on my face at work, then if you work daily with 100% malaysians then wouldn't that be 50 times heavenish? The maths seem to work but will it really?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


MusicPlaylist
Music Playlist at MixPod.com

Links
nursing uniforms
Raglan Top in Amber Glow
Raglan-$14.95
Buy Scrubs at Scrubsgallery.com
and save.